How to cross a dog for the first time - tips from professionals
If you have a dog, you may at some point suggest that you have offspring. If you have decided that it is time to cross your dog or dog, we will give you some guidelines so that everything goes well. Surely you will have many doubts about this important process in the life of a dog and, therefore, since we tell you how to cross a dog for the first time so there is no problem.
However, we anticipate that it is a great responsibility, not only for the possible health complications of the dogs, but because the puppies need to have a home in which to live and in which they are cared for and respected, since the abandonment of these animals It is an alarming problem worldwide. Also, keep in mind that selling dogs without the official permission of a breeder, and other animals, is illegal in many countries and there are also many other negative consequences.
Is it necessary to cross a dog or bitch?
There is a popular belief that dogs and dogs need to cross at least once to be healthier and avoid problems, such as psychological pregnancy in bitches, but this is not true. That a dog has offspring will not prevent health problems, in fact the more pregnancies a less healthy bitch goes through, since her body has had to function more, with hormones going up and down, and both the breasts and the uterus They have undergone more changes and the same thing happens with the testes and glands of the males. Later, we will mention some consequences of this.
Some people do it because they say that dogs, like humans, need offspring to feel fuller and feel that they complete the life cycle, in a totally emotional sense. The truth is that, on the one hand, to apply this in a totalitarian way to humans is to generalize, since not everyone seeks to have children and is not less happy, although it is very common to want to form a family is not the only valid option .
If this is the case with people, with dogs it is even simpler, since they have no sense of reproductive sense, that is, they are not aware of this and do not want to reproduce, but at certain times the hormones lead to it and when they do not have high activity of these hormones do not have it as a need.
Can siblings or family dogs be crossed?
This is an idea that many people have, because it is seen in nature, but the truth is that it is not a good idea . Although it is true that in nature this happens, it occurs simply by survival instinct . Instead, it is best to avoid this type of crosses because the genetic material will be poorer and, therefore, the genes that include failures, health problems and hereditary diseases will be more likely to emerge as strong genes and stop being recessive.
Genetic variability is vital for the survival and evolution of the species precisely because of this, because it prevents genes with problems from getting ahead and the most competent ones do succeed, since they ensure a more prosperous life and a more suitable offspring to continue the species.
Thus, as between people we avoid reproduction with relatives in the case of animals is the same, except in case the species had problems to survive and is in danger of extinction. The result of crossing dogs with their daughters, bitches with their children or sibling dogs of different litter or of the same, or other possible relationships, is that the puppies have from congenital deformities to serious hereditary diseases, so there is less hope of life for these puppies, and there are even more chances of abortion .
At what age can a dog cross?
To cross dogs you must take into account their age to avoid health problems, since some can be very serious. Take note of when you can cross a dog and a dog :
- Small breeds: around the year or year and a half.
- Medium breeds: about a year and a half and two years.
- Big and giant races: around two years or two and a half years.
Thus, it is about waiting for the dog to have completely developed physically and sexually, that is to say that it is already an adult size and its reproductive organs are ready. Regarding the first heat, this is not indicative that it is a good time, in fact normally still bitches have not finished developing when it appears for the first time.
How to cross my dog for the first time - tips
Only if you have become part of the legal and responsible breeders in your country or region can you carry out the following advice, since otherwise, selling the puppies will be committing an illegal act. For those who wonder how to cross pug dogs, pitbull, schnauzer, German shepherd, husky, shar pei, akita, poodle or poodle, pinscher, yorkshire, chihuahua, bulldogs or any other breed, below we will explain the steps and basic tips for it. However, it is necessary that a veterinarian advises in each case according to the race and health of each one, for example, brachycephalics such as pug and bulldogs need special care and attention not only during riding, but also in pregnancy and Birth.
So, apart from consulting your veterinarian, to cross your dog or dog for the first time follow these tips:
- Start by considering when you can cross a male dog and when to a female. If you already know that age is correct, continue with these tips.
- Being a breed guided by people and not in nature, it is taken into account that they are dogs of the same breed if they want to follow the line or, select with care and help from the veterinarian which two breeds can be crossed if changes are sought .
- Let them know each other and spend time identifying, playing, etc. This point is best done before the day of riding to ensure they get along and avoid problems. It is good that they relate before, whether the female is at the beginning of the heat or not, the more they know better. If it is in the first days of the heat, you will notice that although she can find contact with him and he wants to mount it, surely the female will not be left and this is normal because her eggs are not ready yet. It is in the estrus phase that ovulation occurs, so the bitch will be fertile and will allow the crossing. This lasts between 5 and 15 days.
- So, make sure that the dog is in heat, that she is in the receptive phase of this period and that she is the same size or smaller than him. This is taken into account to avoid that the puppies are too large for the mother and there are serious problems in pregnancy and childbirth.
- Try to make the environment calm and let them follow their instincts, as they will detect their pheromones. It is not advisable to intervene, you just have to be careful if there is any problem to help and prevent other animals from interfering, for example other dogs if you are in a park.
- Be patient, the first meeting may not be successful, especially if it is the first time the dogs have crossed. Therefore, it is advisable to allow the meeting to repeat throughout the fertile days as many times as they want, in a totally natural way.
- Since they are stuck, the mount usually lasts about 20 minutes on average, but can last more or less.
- While copulating, especially once they are hooked, do not try to separate them because you will harm them. If you see that there may be something wrong, contact the veterinarian, although it is advisable that you are present or close from the beginning for these reasons.
Consequences of crossing dogs and what to do with litters
Of course having puppies at home brings joy and having dogs has great benefits, both for them if they have a good home and for us, but we must also take into account the negative part of this issue. Responsible animal ownership is something vital, since in this humanized environment they depend totally on our care. It is necessary to bear in mind before deciding to cross two dogs that in each litter there are usually several small ones that are going to need a safe home . For example, this is the number of puppies that dogs can have in a single pregnancy:
- Bitches toy and mini: 1 puppy only or 2 maximum, for being very small in size.
- Small bitches: normally between 1 and 7 puppies.
- Big dogs: more than 10, even up to 15 puppies.
- Giant dogs: from 15 puppies, reaching over 20.
It is very complicated to be able to ensure a good home for all of them and you have to think that this number of puppies can arrive twice a year, which is how many times bitches are jealous. We must also think that each of these puppies can have their own offspring in the future, so overpopulation and abandonment will continue to increase and many die because of this. In addition, the dogs are pure race does not guarantee that they will have a home or be better cared for.
In summary, among the consequences of crossing two dogs, we highlight the increase in canine overpopulation and animal abandonment, as well as the increase in health problems related to the reproductive system of dogs and bitches.
Why neuter or neuter your dog or bitch
The advantages of sterilizing or castrating dogs, whether male or female, are many more than the possible disadvantages of this simple intervention. Above all, we must bear in mind that if we are not legal breeders and, therefore, our furry is not going to use its complete reproductive system, why should we leave the normal functioning of this one, since it is most likely that This age leads to health problems, such as a uterus detachment, cancer of the breast or testicles, and so on. If it is sterilized or castrated, many of these diseases and problems are completely avoided and in others the possibility of occurrence is reduced. In this way the animal may have more chances to live longer and better.
Thus, among the reasons why we sterilize and neuter dogs and dogs we find the following:
- Males: prostate problems such as enlargement, cysts and abscesses are avoided, testicular cancer is avoided and the chances of prostate cancer are reduced.
- Females: it is prevented that there are problems such as pyometra, breast tumors, breast and uterine cancer, uterine detachment, ovarian tumors, mastitis, etcetera.
- Unwanted litters : of course, sterilizing or castrating avoids the increase of abandoned litters because they have not been searched or then no home has been found for them.