How to treat scabies in dogs with home remedies
Scabies is one of the most common skin diseases in dogs and cats, and can affect localized areas of the body or ears. The parasites that cause it are mites, which are classified according to the affected area and the species to which it belongs.
If your dog has been diagnosed with scabies and would like to know some natural remedies to supplement the medical treatment and speed up the healing process, read this article and discover how to treat scabies in dogs with home remedies .
One of the most common treatments to fight scabies is to bathe our sick dog with a special soap that is usually prescribed by the veterinarian. The soaps that the experts advise are those with neutral pH, antiseptic and antibacterial properties, without flavors or toxic components for them.
So, if you have run out of the soap that the veterinarian sent you, a good home remedy is to bathe our dog with one with similar characteristics, like white soap .
Do not use a brush to bathe it, simply wet the can with warm water and rub the soap gently through the most affected areas. When you are totally soaped, leave it for a few minutes to act. You should bathe your dog once a week until it is completely cured. When you dry it, do it with a clean towel and with great care. It is recommended that you wear latex gloves when bathing. Do not forget to always use a specific soap for dogs.
Another way you have to treat scabies in dogs with home remedies is with vegetable oils that can help eliminate the mites that cause scabies. Remember that avocado is one of the toxic foods for dogs, so discard this option, it is best to use olive oil .
Apply a few drops of oil to the affected areas to weaken the mite nests. In this way, we will also hydrate your skin, which is dry because of the infection.
The correct feeding is basic to maintain the immune system of your dog in perfect conditions and fight against mange, a low can of defenses will take longer to heal. Provide the most suitable feed for him and in the necessary quantities per day.
There are a number of herbs and medicinal plants very beneficial to treat scabies in dogs . Of course, there are also many others highly toxic to them, see our article on which are the toxic plants for dogs and make sure you do not eat them.
The most effective to combat scabies are Neem, Cymbopogon and Niaoli for their antiseptic, skin regenerative and antibacterial properties. One way to apply them is by mixing them, individually, with almond or olive oil and applying a few drops of the preparation to the affected area.
As you can see, there are not many home remedies to treat scabies in dogs and the best way to eradicate it is by following the veterinarian's instructions. It is essential that, although you use them to accelerate the healing process, do not stop providing medical treatment, because without it you can not be cured. See our article on how to care for a dog with scabies.
Scabies in dogs is a disease of the skin that occurs because of a mite that lives and reproduces in the area of the skin of our animal. There are three different types of scabies that have different origins and treatments:
- Sarcoptic mange : It is the most common type of scabies and is contracted with the contact of another dog that is infected. This mange can be passed on to human persons, so in this we tell you how to treat mange in people.
- Demodectic scabies : Unlike the others, this type of scabies is of hereditary origin, the infected mother passes it on to her offspring naturally. It is a non-contagious scabies and can be treated with instructions from your veterinarian.
- Otodéctica scabies: It is a mange that affects exclusively to the area of the ears of both dogs and cats. The way of contagion is to be in contact with another animal that suffers from this disease.
There are symptoms of scabies in the most common dogs and we want to detail them so that you pay attention to the health of your dog:
- The most obvious symptom is the lack of hair that you will see in your animal once it is infected with mange.
- Another symptom is redness of the area.
- Scabies also causes inflammation of the infected area.
- It may be that your dog starts to give off bad odor due to scabies.
- You will see that your dog scratches desperately the same area many times a day.
If you see that your dog has any of these symptoms, immediately go to a veterinarian to give specific treatment and to make a special monitoring of the evolution of the disease.
You can complement the medical treatment with these home remedies that can help you to make your dog's evolution faster.