How to make toothpaste for dogs - recipes and tips
Washing a dog's teeth is an essential habit to ensure proper oral hygiene. However, you do not need to spend money to buy toothpastes specially designed for dogs, but there are some natural products perfect to do this cleaning function. Making a toothpaste for dogs with baking soda, aromatic herbs, stevia or coconut will help you to keep your animal in optimal conditions of hygiene and health and, in addition, will take advantage of a wide variety of nutrients from these ingredients. In this article we are going to discover how to make toothpaste for dogs by giving you some good recipes and tips so you can take care of your best friend as he deserves.
How to make homemade toothpaste for dogs: 2 simple recipes
If you want to learn how to make toothpaste for dogs it is important that, first of all, bear in mind that there are some natural ingredients that are suitable to remove dirt, bacteria and purify the oral cavity of the animal. There are different recipes for toothpaste for dogs but, next, we are going to discover 2 simple recipes to make and that will help you to get the animal to be in perfect conditions.
Aromatic herbs and chicken broth
You can make toothpaste with these ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon of chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon of mint
- 1/2 tablespoon of baking soda
- 1/2 tablespoon of vegetable oil
To prepare this toothpaste you only have to mix all the ingredients in a glass container and then put it in the fridge for 5 days. And ready!
The chicken broth will be very nice to your dog and, in addition, the mint will help eliminate bad breath and fight bacteria that may be inside.
Coco and stevia
You can also prepare another dog toothpaste with these two ingredients that will help you cleanse more effectively and deeply. For this, you will need ingredients such as the following:
- 4 tablespoons of crushed stevia leaves
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons of baking soda
- 15 drops of aromatic oils (suitable for dogs)
Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and let it sit for at least 24 hours. And you can use this homemade toothpaste!
This recipe is ideal because stevia will help you eliminate bacteria that cause plaque on your teeth and, in addition, coconut oil will keep your mouth in perfect condition and prevent cavities from forming. On the other hand, aromatic oils have to be edible and suitable for dogs so that, as a result, they get a fresher and more pleasant breath.
In this other article we give you some tips so that you learn to take care of your dog's teeth and enjoy a healthy mouth and in perfect conditions of hygiene.
How to wash my dog's teeth with baking soda - toothpaste recipe
But in addition to these two recipes to learn how to make toothpaste for dogs you have to know that one of the essential ingredients for this cleaning is baking soda. This product will help you to disinfect the mouth of your dog as much as possible and, in addition, to reduce bacteria and neutralize odors.
Therefore, if you want to wash your dog's teeth with baking soda you have to mix half a tablespoon of baking soda with 1 tablespoon of water in a bowl. Mix well until you get a homogeneous paste, similar to that of toothpaste. Once you have it, you can brush your teeth following these tips:
- Dip the dog toothbrush into the mixture you have prepared
- Open your mouth with great care and gently rub the mixture over your teeth
- Try to get to the molars too but always do everything very gently
- Do not lengthen this mouth cleaning much, it is better to be quick at the beginning so that the animal is not scared or defensive
- To calm it, it is recommended that you go whispering or talking to him so he is calm and relaxed
- When you're done, give him a treat as a reward and, so, the next time you brush your teeth you'll be more confident
It is highly recommended that you practice this cleaning habit when the animal is tired or has just gone outside . Thus, you will be less energetic and less nervous.
In this video we discover how to brush a dog's teeth with an explanatory tutorial that will help you to do it in the best possible way.
Choose the best toothbrush for your dog
To clean a dog's teeth it is important to choose the correct toothpaste, but also the brush with which we will perform the cleaning. We can not use a brush like ours but we have to go to the vet or specialized stores to acquire a brush designed especially for the teeth of the dogs. The reason is that they are brushes with softer bristles and that they are manufactured to be able to access all the areas of the oral cavity of the animal without causing discomfort.
Here are some tips when choosing the best toothbrush for your dog:
- The size of your dog: you should buy a brush that is according to the size of the animal. As a general rule, larger animals will need larger brushes than dogs that are small.
- The personality of your dog : if you have a nervous and energetic dog the best thing is that you opt for a brush that has a normal handle and current. However, if the animal is calm, a good option is to buy brushes with a smaller handle and that will help you to get well into the depths of the animal's mouth.
- Soft brushes : you must choose brushes that are soft, otherwise, the dog could suffer some discomfort and, unintentionally, bite you when you are trying to wash it well.
4 tips to wash a dog's teeth
Now that you have learned how to make toothpaste for dogs it is important that you bear in mind some considerations that will help you to make this hygiene and cleaning process the best for your best friend. Here we give you 4 tips that will help you take care of the animal as you need:
- Go to the vet : even if you perform the usual cleaning of your teeth it is essential that you take your dog to the vet every year to have a deep oral cleaning. Only then will you get it protected from plaque, tartar and bad breath.
- Cleaning frequency : it is recommended that you wash your dog's teeth regularly. In fact, the recommended frequency is 2 to 3 times per week.
- No need to rinse: toothpastes for dogs, as well as homemade ones, do not require a mouthwash (unlike the ones we use). Therefore, do not worry because your dog will swallow it and there will be no problem about it.
- Never use your toothpaste: if you do not have anything to clean your dog's teeth it is better that you do not do it than that you use the paste you use every day. This paste has ingredients that can be toxic and make the life of the can be endangered. So do not do it!