How to do a commercial research
Commercial research or market research is the basic tool that is used in marketing to know how the market is structured and functioning. With this, we can know, for example, what factors influence consumer behavior or what are the best decisions we can make when structuring the marketing mix. Therefore, to carry out a good commercial investigation is fundamental for the company, and in this article of .com we will explain you in detail.
Photo source: pivotgroup.cl
The first step to do an adequate commercial investigation, is to design the content and the basic structure of the investigation, that is to say, from what problem or need of knowledge we start, and until where and how we want to arrive. The steps are:
- Select what we want to investigate : for example, the influence of television at night in a certain type of consumer or what new modifications need the consumers of a product.
- Determine the objectives: what we want to achieve exactly with the study.
- Pre-study hypothesis: that is, our current theories of how the variable affects a certain situation we want to study.
- Determine the variables that affect the study: take into account that, if we study the consumer, what variables affect their behavior or if we study a product, what changes produce effects in it.
The second step is to obtain the information we need to carry out our study, and on which we will support ourselves, so it is vitally important that it be as realistic and objective as possible. It consists of the following phases:
- Choice of sources: determine where we will obtain the information from.
- Ways to obtain the information: what steps or what requirements will we need to obtain that information, since it is probable that not everything is public or that we need to elaborate them ourselves, for example through consumer surveys.
- Selection of a representative sample object of study.
- Obtaining the results and the data.
Once we have all the data, it is time to treat them analytically . For this we will generally need computer resources. We will do it in the following way:
- Edit and encode the data: in such a way that they are easily understandable and manageable for all those who use them.
- Tabulation and statistical analysis: first we have to tabulate and organize the data according to the variables that we have taken into account, and then we will submit them to statistical tests to know better what we need: frequency of repetition of a variable, average deviation, and so on.
Finally, it was time to interpret the results and present the conclusions of our study, with the purpose, also, of being able to disclose it if we wish it to those who need it. Thus:
- Interpretation of results : we will analyze the results obtained, and that previous hypothesis we had made, to know if we were right or there is a broad predictive error. It is advisable to analyze the 'why' of the success or failure.
- Conclusions: it is convenient to draw conclusions from the study, as a summary of the results obtained.
- Recommendations and actions to carry out: depending on the results and what we want to achieve.