What is the function of the lungs
The lungs are organs of embryonic origin belonging to the respiratory system . They are located under the rib cage, presenting three well-defined faces called: costal, mediastinal and diaphragmatic, and although the general idea is that both lungs are equal, in reality the right lung is a little larger than the left, given this situation by the space shared by the left lung with the heart. If you want to learn more about this important organ, we will show you what is the function of the lungs and some diseases that can affect them.
Respiratory function of the lungs
It is in the lungs where the blood receives the oxygen that enters the body through inhalation and in turn releases the carbon dioxide which is eliminated with the exhalations.
The respiratory function is responsible for carrying out the exchange of oxygen with the blood, which is why the alveoli are so close to the capillaries. The alveoli are the terminals of the bronchial tree and the capillaries are the blood vessels of smaller size and composed of a single layer of tissue.
It is in the alveoli where the oxygen exchange from the air to the blood in the capillaries occurs . This gaseous passage is produced by the difference in pressure between oxygen and carbon dioxide between the blood and the alveoli.
Non-respiratory function of the lungs
Another function of the lungs is the non-respiratory function since these organs can also act as a filter, providing protection and defense against external air pollution. In addition, in this organ several metabolic actions are carried out, such as: the elimination of drugs or medications, lipid metabolism by means of pulmonary surfactant, acid-base balance and hormonal participation of the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system.
In we discover how to detoxify the lungs.
Types of lung diseases
There is a great variety of lung diseases grouped by the way they affect the correct functioning of the lungs, among them we can find:
- Lung cancer : Currently the most important cause of this disease is smoking. Lung cancer is currently the leading cause of cancer death in several countries around the world. In you we discover the first symptoms of lung cancer.
- Pneumonia and Tuberculosis : This occurs when certain bacteria or viruses cause these diseases affecting the membrane that surrounds the lungs, also known as Pleura.
- Bronchitis, Asthma, Emphysema or Cystic Fibrosis : All these diseases cause blockages in the airways, preventing the normal flow of air to the lungs.
- Respiratory failure, pulmonary embolism, pulmonary edema or pulmonary hypertension : These diseases are caused when problems occur during the exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide in blood flow that travels through the lungs.
- Hardening or scarring of the lungs : This occurs when the interstitium, that is, space between the tissue of the lungs, hardens and becomes scarred. The causes of this are usually the use of drugs or by means of poisons, infections or even radiation.
Many of the symptoms or signs that you are suffering from a lung disease, are usually shortness of breath, shortness of breath, inadequate oxygen. Those who suffer from a lung disease usually report prolonged cough, cough is usually with blood, and you may also feel pain when inhaling and exhaling.