How to care for a dog with anemia
Anemia is not a condition exclusive to humans, and dogs can also suffer from excessive blood loss, problems with the production of red blood cells or even by predisposition of the breed. In any case it is important to identify this pathology, offer the animal the appropriate treatment and give it the necessary care at home to guarantee its welfare. Do not know where to start ?, in .com we explain how to care for a dog with anemia .
Causes of anemia in dogs
Anemia in dogs can occur due to certain conditions or conditions, producing a deficiency of red blood cells that causes the symptoms of this disease.
The most common causes for which a dog is anemic are:
- Destruction of red blood cells due to the production of antibodies to fight them. It is known as immune-mediated hemolytic anemia and is one of the most common causes of anemia present in races such as the cocker spaniel or the poodle.
- Inability of the dog's organism to produce red blood cells.
- Loss of important blood due to some hemorrhage or the presence of parasites such as ticks or fleas.
- Infectious diseases transmitted by parasites.
- Reaction to anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Exposure to certain toxic substances.
- Poor nutrition and malnutrition.
- In addition, anemia can also occur as a result of kidney failure or cancer.
Depending on the origin of the condition the veterinarian will decide which is the most indicated treatment, the opinion of a specialist is essential to get the recovery of your pet.
Symptoms of anemia in dogs
Some signs may indicate that your dog is suffering from anemia, so it is important to watch for symptoms such as:
- Fatigue and apathy, the dog is not as active as usual.
- Lack of appetite, the animal as little and does not show much interest in food.
- The inside of your eyelids or gums look paler than usual, without presenting the characteristic reddish tone.
- Difficulty to exercise and physical activity.
If your pet has several of these symptoms, it is best to take it to a veterinarian for a diagnosis.
Caring for a dog with anemia
The care of a dog with anemia will depend to a great extent on the cause of this disease. The first thing that you must take into account is not to medicate the animal or give it nutritional supplements without the veterinarian has indicated it, as this could seriously affect the health of your pet.
Offer your dog quality food appropriate to its age and nutritional needs, always serving it at the same time and making sure that it ingests completely the ration that corresponds to it. It will also be important to ensure that the dog is free of parasites such as ticks and fleas, which can not only cause anemia but increase the symptoms of the picture in the event that your dog already has the disease. Check very well the area where your pet rests, brush your hair frequently and keep an eye on the appearance of any unwanted guest.
If the anemia is produced due to an illness, the important thing will be to treat the major condition to look for an improvement in the animal. Taking care of your dog and giving him all the necessary attention is very important to guarantee his health. In the case of anemia caused by a large blood loss, a blood transfusion may be the indicated treatment, however you should wait for the specialist's instructions. In the same way, iron deficiency anemia, caused by a lack of iron and vitamins in the diet, can be cured thanks to the intake of supplements and nutrients previously suggested by the doctor.
Keep in mind that the treatment of anemia in dogs will depend on the cause that caused the condition, so it is always important to wait for the diagnosis of a veterinarian and follow the recommendations carefully, in this way your pet will be healthy and happy again.