How much is one mile in kilometers?
The mile is a unit of length used in the Anglo-Saxon nations such as the United States and England, or in the countries that receive their influence. Since the International System of Units is used in the rest of the world, knowing how many meters or kilometers are one mile is not always easy. Therefore, in this article of .com we explain step by step how much is a mile and what formulas you can use to carry out this conversion.Steps to follow:
The mile is a measure used during the Roman Empire, it was used to define the distances that covered a thousand steps. With the implementation of the International System of Units, the use of the miles was replaced by that of the meters in the western world, however in the Anglo-Saxon countries it is still maintained.
Since miles are used to define distances, when you visit countries that use this system you should use this measure instead of meters or kilometers, especially when driving or trying to find an address to get to your destination correctly.
One mile equals exactly 1, 609 kilometers or 1609.3 meters in the international metric system. Therefore, if you want to convert miles to kilometers, you should only use a very simple formula: multiply the number of miles by 1.609 and you will obtain the kilometers as a result.
Some examples of this would be:
- 5 miles x 1, 609 = 8, 045 kilometers.
- 10 miles x 1.609 = 16.09 kilometers.
- 20 miles x 1.609 = 32.18 kilometers
- 50 miles x 1.609 = 80.45 kilometers
Now you know how much a mile is equivalent in kilometers but you should know that there are different types of miles and that each of them has different values. Then we discover them so you can know them and apply them in your day to day life:
- International mile : it is what is known as "mile" and it is the one that we have talked about throughout the article. It is used in the Anglo-Saxon countries and in English it is known as the "Statute Mile".
- Mileage of land surveying: it is used only by the public system of land surveying of the USA and is known as the "Survey Mile". The equivalence of this mile is 1609 meters is 5280 feet of surveying.
- Nautical mile: a land mile is not the same as a nautical mile and, therefore, neither is its equivalence with the metric system. This type of measurement of sea distances has been used for a long time and was adopted by Western countries which, to date, continues to count distances using the miles system instead of the metric. One mile on the sea equals 1852 meters.
In this other article we tell you how to convert knots to meters.
In you can see other equivalences that may also be useful, we invite you to consult the following articles:
- How much is one foot in meters?
- How much is an inch in centimeters?
- How much is a cubic centimeter